No, not me. As if.
I never have time to do my own family history research, but I needed to test out a new website which has a huge collection of American historical newspapers. So why not use my own family to test the scope of what they have. I've trawled through several sites before and pulled dozens and dozens of articles about my Ducie ancestors from Montana. Great-grandma was an heiress - the fanciest girl in town - and Daddy was a v. wealthy mine owner. There are loads of press clipping and I thought I had them all, but was delighted to find this:
Even though they had tons of cash, the wedding was a pretty modest affair as the mother of the bride (my great-great grandmother Ellen who favoured a loopy hair style that made her look like a Christmas ornament ready to be hung from a nail or a tree branch) was quite unwell and in fact passed away the following winter.
This detail was interesting - the article says the bride wore green, while her younger sister the bridesmaid wore the white dress. Which makes sense really - white doesn't suit anybody. So make your sister look all washed out in photographs while you truly look the bell of the ball in a complexion enhancing jewel tone. Might try that myself some day.

1 comment:
Amazing what lies out there just waiting to be discovered!
Post a Comment